Re: Yumex cleaned my system..... How do I contact yum-team?

g wrote:
DB wrote:
My problem comes when I try to remove
"something" (e.g. CUPS) when yumex seems to consider every application

i can imagine several reason of wanting to remove a program, cups among them.

would yours be that you do not print with mentioned system, or that you want to
print with different program?

Hi G,
neither! I had been trying a) to get my Epson all-in-one to work as per book & b) trying to get a pdf printer installed.

Neither seemed(!) to be successful, then the next reboot stalled in CUPS, so I thought remove CUPS & reinstall to see if it had got its knickers in a knot .....

I'd had a similar experience on my first install of F9, when I thought I could remove all the dial-up options (I use either an Ethernet connection or a wireless from my laptop) & yum quite cheerfully took out Network Manager & left me without a connection....

To my simple brain(!) it would seem the definition of "dependency" is not clean. I would have thought that a dependency is something which must be present for something to function; whereas a relationship Master-servant would mean that in something like CUPS-Firefox, FF is the Master & CUPS the servant providing a service. One should be able to remove either the Master or the Servant without destroying the other, just making sure the connections are tidied up....

Cheers

Dave