Re: F8 and a GPS -

On Monday 30 June 2008, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>Bob Goodwin USA wrote:
>> I have a Magellan 3100 GPS device that came with a USB cable and a
>> collection of Windows software on a CD.
>>
>> Is there an application for F8 that will permit me to communicate with
>> it.  At first I thought I would just plug it in and extract coordinate
>> information for my present position but it's not that easy.
>
>I don't know your unit, but my (black box) USB GPS is just a USB-serial
>converter (prolific 2303) and a serial GPS unit.

And that pl2303 is an Excedrin(TM) headache, and the only solution I've found is
to replace it with an FTDI based unit.  The pl2303's are VERY fond of throwing
away the first byte of a packet, particularly when being used with a high
traffic device such as a gps.  Roadnav for instance will give you garbage for
several seconds every time that happens.  And your logs will grow if its being
logged with the constant disconnect/reconnect traffic.

>Linux detects a new serial port and GPS coordinates can be read from that.
>Best done by using gpsd.
>
>Try plugging the GPS in and have a look at dmesg and lsusb output.
>Or, have a look at the Windows drivers (*.INF). You could probably
>discover it's just a simulated serial port.

>From lsusb for the FTDI:
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

I also have 2 16 foot extension cables in use that appear to have an Atmel based
hub chip in them, and they work very well also.

Bus 001 Device 014: ID 04f9:0033 Brother Industries, Ltd
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel Corp. at43301 4-port Hub

The brother printer is on the end of one such cable.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)