Re: ifdown. is it really down?

g wrote:
i am currently using f8 with most of updates install. not sure if ifup/ifdown
is among them.

i have a growing concern about operation of ifup and ifdown.

i am noticing that when i 'ifdown eth0' is still see flashing of ethernet led
on a 2wire 2701hg-b dsl modem.

it was my understanding that using ifup and ifdown that this 2 commands would bring ethernet connection up and down, but ethernet led on modem is now making
me believe other wise.

just what do commands actually do?

as 'user' what is/are better command or commands to use without 'su' or 'sudo'
to connect ethernet to modem?

tia.
I believe that you have to be root to "ifdown" but even after the interface is down there will be an indication of traffic on the NIC because there are other machines on the network.

John Cornelius