Re: MPEG video under Fedora 9

Craig White wrote:

>> Could some kind soul state as briefly and clearly as possible
>> what is required to play a .mpg video file under Fedora 9/KDE/Firefox?
>>
>> On my laptop I see from System Settings=>Advanced=>File Associations
>> that I am given a choice for mpeg video files of
>>         GXine Video Player
>>         Gnome MPlayer
>>         MPlayer
>>         Movie Player
>>         Kaffeine
>>
>> As a sample .mpg file I've taken
>> /usr/share/apps/k3b/extra/k3bphotosvcd.mpg .
> ----
> do you have any third party repositories installed? Livna? Other?

Yes. I have livna.repo enabled -
but no others, except fedora-update .

> follow this thread from a few days ago...
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-June/msg02561.html
>
> especially Rahul's answer...
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-June/msg02571.html

I read this, or rather the article
<http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-Multimedia.html>
which it pointed to, but did not find it much help.

It seemed to be all about totem, which appears to be the application
called "Movie Player" in the f=>Applications=>Multimedia menu .

[Why it doesn't say that Movie Player means totem
I can't imagine - to me it just seems part
of the utter chaos that constitutes Fedora Multimedia.]

In any case, I installed totem-xine as suggested
and gave the command "totem-backend -b xine".
Then I ran Movie Player and open the file I mentioned
</usr/share/apps/k3b/extra/k3bphotosvcd.mpg>,
but all I saw was a meaningless mess of lines.

So I would ask again - has anyone successfully played an MPEG video
under Fedora-9?
If so, could you tell me what application you used,
and (if possible) any special codecs you installed.