Re: BOINC again !?

Hi Markku;

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 12:37 +0300, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> Craig White kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika lauantai, 28.
> kesäkuuta 2008):
> > ----
> > don't know anything about BOINC but do you have/need httpd
> > running (sounds like it)
>
> You don't need httpd to run the BOINC client. It doesn't need any
> incoming firewall ports open either. I think this thread got
> sidetracked somewhere, I don't believe the OP wants to run a
> BOINC project server.

You are right.  I don't want to run a server.  I just want to get the
boinc applications (boinc-clent and boincmgr) that I downloaded (yumed)
from the Fedora 9 repo up and running.  And, I want to keep it running
after I re-boot.

My problem is I keep getting this error message from bonicmgr: "BOINC is
unable to communicate with a project and needs an Internet connection.
"Please connect to the Internet, then select the 'retry communications'
item off the advanced menu."

I am connected to the internet.  I have selected the 'retry
communications item off the advanced menu.  I always get: "Sat 28 Jun
2008 09:39:50 AM EDT|World Community Grid|Sending scheduler request:
Requested by user.  Requesting 2 seconds of work, reporting 0 completed
tasks" and "Sat 28 Jun 2008 09:39:55 AM EDT|World Community Grid|
Scheduler request failed: Couldn't resolve host name"

I never had this problem when I installed in F8 from the boinc site rpm.
Boinc works in F9 immediately after a new install.

By the way, time wasn't wasted last night.  I did delve into learning
about matters I should have dealt with before.

But... Any suggestions on how I get my boinc working.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2