Re: RAID1 in F9

redhatdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

So, I got both drives 500 MB each inside the computer.
I can see them in /dev.
How do I format them with fdisk?
Do I have to make partitions? I'm lost here.

fdisk /dev/<devicename>

Make sure the <devicename> is correct, otherwise you're going to nuke an innocent hard drive. That's really the only tricky part, the rest is generally foolproof.

fdisk will probably complain that the existing partition table on the drive is garbage, and tell you to create a new one. Follow along with it. If someone snookered you and shove you a bunch of refurbished drives, they'll have some data and existing partitions on it, which you can delete first, using fdisk.

fdisk is a simple, command line tool, with a basic menu, and simple command help. You should be able to figure out how to use it to create a new partition on the disk. The only thing that you may not be able to figure out on your own is that, for the purpose of what you need to do, you will need to set your new partition's type to "Linux raid autodetect", type 0xFD.

Once you've partitioned both drives, use mdadm to assemble them into a RAID volume. You'll end up with a new device, most likely /dev/md0. Treat it as a single partition, and use mkfs.ext3 command to format it as an ordinary ext3 partition, which you'll be able to mount.