Re: intel3945 WLAN and Siemens ADSL Modem

d das wrote:
Hello Friends

I have one 'Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
(rev 02)' card (quoted from `lspci`) in my Lenovo laptop. And my
Siemens ADSL modem has a Wireless network facility. But, though I set
the network up according to the modem manual, I am not being able to
get the wlan0 up.

'service network start' is giving me a message like this:
<<
Bringing up interface wlan0:  Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

Determining IP information for wlan0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
 failed.

And 'dmesg' is telling:
<<
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
iwl3945: Radio disabled by HW RF Kill switch

My question is, is some problem there in the wlan driver or I am
making some stupid mistake in setting up the wireless? See, I am
absolutely ignorant about both wireless and network, and so, please
make your reply as less cryptic as possible.

From the message, it looks like the hardware switch that kills the wireless NIC is turned off. If this is a laptop, check the manual or look for a little LED with a switch next to it.

Mikkel