Re: FC9 boot hangs with encrypted filesystems

Tim Largy wrote:
I put an encrypted f/s on an FC9 install, and the boot hung waiting
for the password. Not good, so I marked it "noauto" in fstab, but it
still hung. So I put it in automount and not in fstab and it still
hangs, and I finally took it out of everywhere and the boot process
can still see it.

I want the system to boot without the filesystem, and mount it only on
demand, but by simply existing it seems to be found and validated at
boot time. Can someone tell me where the boot process is finding the
f/s? It's not used for normal operations, only for special operations
by people with the password.

Is there a way to keep the boot from asking about it until used?
 man crypttab

Thanks, but I don't see quite how to select "on demand" in that man page. If
I comment out the entry it isn't requested at boot, but it isn't requested
when I try to mount it, I get a "must specify filesystem type" prompt.

Anybody figure out how to do this yet? I also have an encrypted volume
that I want "on demand" rather than activated at boot. Commenting out
the entry in /etc/crypttab and changing the fstab mount option to
"noauto" doesn't do the trick.

I'm also still hoping for an answeer. Or suggestion. I was told in a chat that it wasn't a bug because it was intended to work that way. Guess I can't report it as a bug. :-(

Kind of make LUKS impractical for anything but dedicated personal use, and I was hoping to allow on demand mounting of proprietary data.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>