Re: Periodic Fedora 9 system hangs with jumpy mouse

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:55 PM, g <geleem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Deron Meranda wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> the Xorg process (gdb would hang).  And also the Xorg process
>> was not killable.  Finally I tried kill -KILL on it, and it sort
>> of got half-killed.
>
> use 'ps -el|grep X' to find 'X', Xorg process, then
>
> "kill -15 'pid#'" to kill it. if '-15' fails, use '-7'.

I did the ps thing.  Only one Xorg process was running.
I also tried kills in the following order:

  kill -TERM  (-15)
  kill -SEGV  (-11)
  kill -KILL (-9)

The first two did nothing.  The last kill (which is not blockable)
changed the process name from "Xorg" to "[Xorg]" and blanked
the /proc/xxx/exe symlink; but otherwise the Xorg process
remained in a run state consuming 100% cpu.

BTW, I've now looked through the Xorg.0.log file, and nothing
interesting shows up in it when this "hang" occurs.  Also the
video card driver being loaded is the "radeon_drv.so" that
comes with F9.
--
Deron Meranda