Re: Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 09:35 -0400, David Boles wrote:
> Pulseaudio is supposed to allow you to set the volume level(s) of
> various applications/output devices so that they can be different.
> Music soft. Ta-Ta!  loud. As well as others. What is not so functional
> is the applications that are not yet able to mix with pulseaudio.

To my mind, it goes about this the wrong way.  A case in point:  You're
listening to your music at a reasonable level, and some annunciator
fires off at full volume.  Unfortunately, you can't do anything about
that, as they're so quick to finish that you couldn't get to a volume
control in time.  And even if you did manage to reduce the volume while
a long sample played, the next time the annunciator fires off it'll be
at the default full volume, again.

The things that make sounds, should control their own volumes,
themselves.  A volume control in your music player, not some external
controller, should control its playback level, and not affect anything
else.  The system annunciators should have their own level in the
appropriate control panel for the sounds (where you set which sounds
will be heard, for which events, should also set the level).  Other
applications should have their own volume levels.  The only sensible
external control should be a master volume, one that you can crank up
and down to make everything loud or quiet, in proportion to your
listening environment, as well as be able to quickly mute everything
when the phone rings.

The whole idea of a "mixer panel" approach is alien to the average
person who's never used a collection of equipment hooked up to a mixer.
And it's made all the more worse by bad setups of the mixer (badly
labelled controls, most controls needing to be run at maximum, etc.).
About the only sensible place for using a mixer on the computer is for
making recordings.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686