How do I force the SATA drive to be /dev/sda when IDE drive is present?

I have an F7 system that has both a SATA drive and occasionally an IDE
drive  connected to it. The problem is that when the IDE drive is
connected, the system will make IDE=/dev/sda and SATA=/dev/sdb, and screw up my boot process.

Is there a kernel command parameter or other simple method to get
around this problem?