double boot (not dual boot) problems with GRUB ??

Hi;

When I first boot I get the Fedora splash screen twice -- besides that
everything else boots normally.

Problem:
First let me say, grub and I spent quite a bit of time together a couple
of years ago, so I am generally comfortable using it and don't believe
my problems are as a result of being a grub newbie.

My system is dual boot with WindowsXP installed on hard drive /dev/sda
(hd0) and Fedora installed on a second hard drive /dev/sdb (hd1).  In
case it matters (it shouldn't) I have a ext3 partition on sda for Linux
backup and a FAT32 partition on sdb for Windows backup.

About four weeks ago my commercial boot loader was blown away by the
WindowsXP sp3 download.  Fine and good.

I just installed grub.  During the grub install I had an ooops! So I
just reinstalled grub and everything seemed fine. Because it was an oops
I didn't pay attention to the mistake, so now a month later I have
forgotten exactly what I did wrong.  Besides I thought I had recovered.

About a week ago (I don't re-boot very often), I noticed the Fedora
splash screen appear for 1/2 second or less, pause for a second, and
then a new splash screen appeared and everything progressed fine from
there.  This occurs definitely during the grub stage of bootup.

I didn't do anything then because I was going to fresh install Fedora 9
with a new grub on the weekend.  Which I have done.  But the double
splash screen still appears.

Analysis:
I believe that I have two grub stage 2 on my system; one in
sdb /boot/grub and another in sda -- somewhere.

Proposed solution:
1) Run 'fixmbr' from my Windows CD; which I expect will blow away my
grub stage 1
2) Re-install grub from my Fedora 9 disc1 rescue mode.

Questions:
1) I have looked at the Fedora rescue mode; there is no 'firstaid' file
which was promised would appear in Fedora 9.  But if it is there I would
like to find it.  If it didn't make it onto the disk, I will
grub-install from the command line.
2) As a double check could someone tell me if I have the correct command
to put stage1 in the mbr of hd0 and tell grub that stage2 is in
sdb /boot

'# grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda'

I just would like to have reassurance that grub interprets the above
command as meaning what I want i.e that it can find /boot on the second
disc -- not create or find an extraneous stage 2 on /dev/sda

I have taken the time to outline fully my problem and proposed solution
so that you can give me any additional comments or solutions.  I am
hoping that the 'fixmbr' command will not only restore the mbr but also
eliminate the extra stage 2.  How can I check that?

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2