Re: Booting F9 with NO X11

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 13:34 -0400, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 13:27 -0400, Rick Bilonick wrote:

> > > OK, I tried adding "text" and that allows be to get to a text console.
> > >
> > > Now all I have to do is get X working (it works fine using SUSE 10).
> > >
> > > Rick B.
> > >

> > It's very weird. F9 appears to correctly identify the graphics card
> > (something like "chrome" by VIA). I changed this in xorg.conf to "vesa"
> > which I thought would be very generic but now the screen goes black when
> > I execute "startx".
> >
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Rick
> >

> I just changed "vesa" to "vga" but there does not appear to be a "vga"
> driver installed. I'm not sure what rpm to install.
>
> Rick B.

Have you tried turning on detail during boot to see what the system
discovers about your video?  Also look at the setup screen for your
system to see what it shows about the video.

Then post that here.  Someone may have an answer if they have that kind
of information.  I can't help, I left HP systems a long time ago, and
won't go back due to some of their setup stuff that makes using any OS
but windows very difficult.

Regards,
Les H