Re: Sharing CD-ROM over Samba on Fedora 8 *solved*

max wrote:
Daniel Tweedy wrote:
I put this line in my /etc/fstab file

/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

The cdrom doesn't mount on bootup which I believe to be correct due to the noauto part.

I played around with the samba config and found that the paths I was using for mount and unmount were incorrect, corrected the paths and now it mounts and unmounts fine.

Cool. Just one question though, I am not trying to be confrontational or anything, this solution automatically mounts and shares whatever is in the cd drive? I can easily imagine putting a cd, say with backups or other personal info, into the drive that I may not really want to share.

Then disable the automount options for the CD drive(s).  In Gnome:

	System->Preferences->Hardware->Removable Drives and Media

Uncheck "Mount removable media when inserted".  Note that from now on,
you'll have to manually mount the media, and there will NOT be a /media
entry for the drive to mount to.  To solve:

1. Create something like "mkdir /mnt/cdrom" and export that via Samba.
2. When you have a CD you want to share, "mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom".

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2@xxxxxxxx -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
- Treat each day as if it's your last...a lot of crying and whining  -
-      usually gets you what you want!              -- Sam Sledge    -