openoffice command line printing...

What I'm trying to do is convert a bunch of Excel files to PDF. I can open the Excel files in oocalc and export to PDF but I've been reading that you can do this same thing by using Cups-PDF and "soffice -pt "Cups-PDF" file.xls' and it will fire up oocalc and, essentially, use the Cups-PDF "printer" to save the file out as a .pdf file. Well, that's not working for me. I never get an output file when I run the command from the command line and I can't figure out why. I'm running on Fedora 8 with the latest openoffice, cups, cups-pdf rpms for that platform. Can somebody else try on their end and see if it works for them? FWIW, "soffice -p file.xls" doesn't print my file to the default printer either.

Thanks.

Kevin