Re: how to find WEP/WPA key to network if possible

> --- "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> > Now, if the administrator did things right, there
>> should be a network
>> > setup USB key or disk with all the network
>> settings needed to connect to
>> > the wireless network. It is set up so that all you
>> need to do is put it
>> > in and auto-run it - it sets things up without the
>> user having to know
>> > the details or the key. It makes setting up a new
>> computer to connect to
>> > the wireless network a snap.
>>
> That's what some teachers got to do after the Network
> became encrypted.  They took their computers to the
> Administrator and he put the key in for them and they
> are happily surfing.  Other teachers that seldom use
> their laptops, brought it to school only to find out
> that they cannot use the wireless network because it
> has a new key that they need to put in to be able to
> use it.  This happened without warning and some of my
> colleagues are mad.  I do not know what to tell them.
> I wish I knew more about wireless networking.

While I sympathize with their plight, in this regard, I do have note that
were I the networking supervisor, my sympathy would be limited.

I imagine that this person would have sent out numerous notices that they
would be implementing wireless encryption before doing so...as would be
standard practice (I could be wrong...this person may not have done so,
but I doubt that to be the case).

Given that, and that these teachers haven't bothered to bring their
laptops into the facility for so long, that (assuming the networking
supervisor did send out notification of the impending change) they had
ignored these notifications, and that the networking guru is not currently
available, *my* stance would be that they're just going to have to wait
until that person returns from vacation, and that they'll just have to
make do with whatever computers they've been using, in their classrooms,
while their laptops were left at home for all this time.

Of course, I'm something of an S.O.B. when it comes to problems that the
users could have prevented by paying attention to notifications and/or by
taking other steps.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org