F9 network configuration bug?

I just added a second computer behind my netgear WGR614v4 router.  I
installed Fedora 9.  My last install was FC5 so there is much in F9 that
is unfamiliar to me.  To avoid introducing errors, I used all the
defaults during the installation except disk partitions.  After the
reboot, ifconfig shows eth0 active with the correct IP address

 $ /sbin/ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1D:7D:E9:09:8B
          inet addr:192.168.0.4  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::21d:7dff:fee9:98b/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:118973 (116.1 KiB)  TX bytes:71977 (70.2 KiB)
          Interrupt:16

lo        ...

Also, the system->administration->network->DNS gui shows the correct
primary and secondary DNS addresses.  Since this computer's IP address
and the DNS addresses are set by the router, I'm led to think that both
the hardware is working and the kernel recognizes it.  In addition, I
can ping each computer from the other.  The first ping takes 1 to 2
seconds followed by ~0.25 ms responses.  Perhaps a bit slow, but not
significant for most of what I need to do.

So what can go wrong?  If I ssh or scp between the computers, I get the
immediate, expected complaint about the authenticity of the RSA key.  I
say it is okay, then after no response for about 90 seconds, I get a
password prompt and a fast connection thereafter.  I did a large file
transfer at 10 MB/sec.  For these commands (ping, ssh, scp) I referred
to the other computer by its IP address on the local network, not by its
name.

If the slow start-up were the only problem, I could probably get by but
I cannot connect from the new computer to either the router's setup page
on my local network or to *any* address in the outside world (either by
name or IP address).  Ping just gives no response while Firefox
eventually says "Address not found".

To me, this has the feel of a configuration problem, presumably with
networkManager but beyond that, I'm baffled.  My apparently flawed
reasoning tells me that by successfully initializing the connection
(getting the IP and DNS addresses from the router), networkManager
demonstrates it knows how to talk to the hardware yet it fails to do so
when the connection is actually needed.

The networkManager home page, (www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/)
claims the configuration is automated and gives no debugging hints.  I
tried going through the menus in both KDE and gnome as well as the files
in etc/sysconfig but this approach seems futile without good
documentation for what each of these does, which are associated with the
NetworkManager service and which are just for the network service.
Also, there are no obvious hints in the system log.

My system is a 64-bit, Intel Core 2 Quad processor, 2.4 GHz with 4 GB
ram and a Gigabyte S-series motherboard with built-in ethernet
(identified as Realtek RTL8111/8168B).  I get the same behavior using
the KDE live CD or either the i386 or x86-64 install.

I am probably making a simple mistake but cannot see it.  Any
help/suggestions would be appreciated,

Dave