Re: Weirdness with Fedora/XP upgrade

On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:36:37 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
	[...]
>> 	Vesa driver? I've seen the word during boot-ups on at least one
>> machine; but since it means nothing to me, I don't even recall which
>> machine. I'll be glad to try that or anything else I can; how do I do
>> it?
>
> I believe you can do this:
>
>         When you see the GRUB splash screen on boot, press a key.

	Did that -- and nothing happened.

	The machine was still where it had been, saying it had started
the network manager. I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and it went down as far as
sending the TERM signal -- and then sat there, without doing anything I
could see, but with the machine's light still on.

	I hit the reset button. It went as far as the grub menu, and I
hit a key. That left it with its F9 line highlighted. I hit e -- and
nothing happened. In fact, it didn't respond to anything on the keyboard
-- the first time I've ever seen grub do that.

	I hit the reset button again, and this time it let me tell it to
edit both times. Then it froze again.

> Select
>         the top kernel line of the options offered and type 'e', select
>         the kernel line and type 'e'.  Append 'video=vesa' at the end of
>         the line.  Type [Enter], type 'b'.

	I hit the reset button yet again, and did all the above hastily
(but, I hope and believe, accurately) -- getting it all in ahead of
another freeze.

> Then X should detect your video card as vesa, which is the most generic
> sort of interface.

	It booted, but only into another login line, white on black; I
logged in -- and it gave me my prompt, along with a line saying "Can't
open display."

> If the machine boots, you can boot in runlevel 3 (edit the kernel line
> in GRUB as above, but instead of "video=vesa" add "3".  Then you'll get
> a virtual console to log into.  Then (as root) run
>
> 	system-config-display --reconfig
>
> and see if that helps.

	It tried some sort of traceback, said something cryptic about
/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py, and (apparently) tried to
import something from somewhere. Then it said

ImportError: No module named ibmasm

and gave me my root prompt back.

	Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the scp -r that I was running quit
with the message

scp: error: unexpected filename: ..
lost connection

	So there must be some stuff I didn't get; I don't know what, but
I got vast amounts -- enough to run my df up, despite deleting hand over
fist, from its original 50% to 78%. (Baobab, which sees only a 35.2 GB
drive, makes it 72.8%. I'm pretty sure this machine has a nominal 40 GB
drive; I thought the #1 machine had two -- 40 GB for Fedora and 40 GB for
XP, just because the one thing I do on it is GPS-compatible topo maps,
which are apt to be graphic-intensive and to grow hugely -- but it may be
80 and 80.)

	The actual numbers on machine #2 are

[btth@hbsk ~]$ df
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      36693560  26814088   7985484  78% /
/dev/sda1               194442     18754    165649  11% /boot
tmpfs                   501108        48    501060   1% /dev/shm

	The corresponding top line numbers from df on #1 are
                       73545144  30178956   39570016

	Since I haven't even tried to salvage anything from anywhere but
my user's home directory, it looks to me like I have very nearly all of
it. (I don't keep financial or otherwise critical files on any computer.)

	Bottom line: I'll gladly keep this up so long as you, Patrick
O'Callaghan in the X thread, or any other clearly knowledgeable person
here thinks it worth while. Hey, we might uncover the anaconda bug! But
if the worse comes to the worst, I'm confident I can now live with the
results of wiping the hard drive and re-installing F8 from scratch.