Re: Weirdness with Fedora/XP upgrade

On Sun, 25 May 2008 18:41:29 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 16:28 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Beartooth writes:
>>
>> > 	Consequence : those of us with F9 but no GUI are, apparently, up
>> > the creek. We can't get X to work, and we can't downgrade back to F8.
>>
>> You can never downgrade to an earlier release. That has never been the
>> case, and will never be the case, at least not until rpm is replaced by
>> something else.
>>
>> You are at Nvidia's mercy, to release a driver that's compatible with
>> F9. Perhaps it's now clear why non-free binary blobs are a bad idea.
>
> If the nv driver also doesn't work (I didn't see the beginning of this
> thread, but Beartooth does say above "F9 but no GUI"), then he's also at
> the mercy of the open-source kernel driver writers.  They have not
> necessarily been any faster than nVidia at fixing broken drivers or
> supporting new cards.
>
> Beartooth: Have you tried the vesa driver?  It worked with my nVidia
> laptop card when nothing else would (when F8 was released), except that
> it wouldn't turn off the backlight.  I haven't seen any progress on that
> bug (#351661) since I filed it last October.

	Vesa driver? I've seen the word during boot-ups on at least one
machine; but since it means nothing to me, I don't even recall which
machine. I'll be glad to try that or anything else I can; how do I do it?

	Please, everyone, remember also that it may well be the brand-new
monitor, which almost certainly did not yet exist when any of my machines
were assembled, much less when the components in them were manufactured.
I had been running an almost square LCD (19" I think; maybe more), and
one morning it had decided it was a doornail.

	In fact, oddly enough, the machine I had feared might not be able
to handle this monitor (and was prepared to sacrifice, since square
monitors seem to be disappearing quickly from electronic fashion) is
doing just fine -- with a 1280x1024 setting and a stretched display, but
very usably; it's the newest one, whose compatibility I took for granted,
that can't seem to run X.

	Also, please remember that it was F9 itself that told me the
"unhandled exception" which aborted several installs was most probably a
bug in Anaconda.

	So at least three hypothetical possibilities are tenable at this
point, even plausible, afaik; I'll be glad to try anything against any of
them, and report results.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2 & 3
Remember I know little (precious little!) of what I am talking about.