Re: Amarock - wma format questions

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 17:08 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 23:25 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Just for grins, I located several wma files and mplayer plays them
> > just fine.
>
> There's some WMA files that mplayer will handle, and others that it will
> not.
>
> e.g. From http://www.theatreorgans.com/walnuthill/eugenehayek.htm
> download http://www.theatreorgans.com/walnuthill/Hayek_Five_Foot_Two.wma
>
> And it wouldn't play, for me.  Yet, lots of other WMA files from that
> page worked fine.
>
> It wanted to make use of wma9dmod.dll (which it can't find).  I do have
> it in /usr/local/lib/codecs/wma9dmod.dll (which is supposed to be one of
> the places that it will look).
>
> If you find it won't play a file, try playing from the command line to
> see what errors are produced, then seeing if you can give it a helping
> hand.  Perhaps by symlinking from the codec directory to one or two
> other places players look by default.  Here's three locations that I
> know about:
>
> /usr/lib/codecs/
> /usr/local/lib/codecs/
> /usr/local/lib/win32/

You forgot /usr/lib/win32

I use all four and put the actual files in /usr/lib/codecs and then link
the rest to that. Why? I've seen them all mentioned, at one time or
another, so just like something so technologically advanced that you
can't distinguish it from magic, I cover all the bases! I'll try that
link and get back with you here. :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar