Re: Weirdness with Fedora/XP upgrade

On Sun, 25 May 2008 14:25:15 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 2008 06:27:44 -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
>
>> This is a known issue with ATI/Nvidia cards currently. If you have
>> either, please stick to Fedora 8 for the time being, thank you.
	[...]
> 	... leaving me with my present severely crippled
> install, rather than sticking to F8, I would have to try to "upgrade"
> from F9 with my F8 respin DVD from last December. Is that a good idea?
> Or an impossibility? Or something feasible but acrawl or honeycombed
> with gotchas?
	[...]

	Having heard no more, I've been trying to downgrade. That, too,
fails, both normally and in text mode,with an error message.

	The message cites a long string of gibberish, apparently of the
form shown in Amadeus W.M's thread "what kind of /etc/fstab is this?"
beginning May 24th. It follows the gibberish with a flat statement saying
"Devices in /etc/fstab should be specified by label, not by device name."

	Then it gives no other choice but to exit the installer.

	Some of the replies in the fstab thread praise these lines of
gibberish, saying for instance, "either a label or uuid is the safe way
to refer to the partition in fstab.  For the installer, uuid is
better ..."

	Apparently Anaconda needs to have that hammered into its skull,
since it knows what they are and dismisses them so cavalierly. (Maybe
that's the bug in Anaconda??)

	Consequence : those of us with F9 but no GUI are, apparently, up
the creek. We can't get X to work, and we can't downgrade back to F8.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2.0