Re: Mysteries of sound in Fedora-9

I'm still baffled by sound on my Fedora-9 + KDE ThinkPad T23.
What puzzles me is that sound never works when I logon,
but starts at some point when I play with the sound settings.

Today I muted the Front bar, and then unmuted it,
and sound started working.

But what I'd like to know is how I can test the sound system,
to see where the problem arises?
Is it at driver level?
Or is it something to do with pulseaudio?
Or is it something to do with xine?
What I'd really like is a suite of test programs
which will check each stage along the "sound stack".

Someone mentioned trying something like "cat foo.ogg > /dev/dsp".
In my case, when sound is working this produces a white noise.
Is this testing the sound driver
(in my case snd_intel8x0 , I assume) directly?

I guess what I'm looking for is a Fedora Sound FAQ,
with Q1: I have no sound, what can I do?