Re: PATH Issues

On 24May2008 21:39, Gordon Messmer <yinyang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sieranski, Greg wrote:
>> my .bashrc is empty. I have not touched it.
>
> Well, that's kind of weird.  For whatever reason, it sounds like your X
> session starts out with a bash login shell that sets up and exports the
> environment, and then your terminals run login shells, too.
>
> What desktop are you using?  If you run "ps axf", what processes are the
> children of gdm (or whatever dm you use)?

A lot of default desktop environments run login shells in the terminals.  It
avoids relying on the xsession or ~/.xsession setting things up properly.
Most users even think it's how things should be:-(

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

If NT is the answer, you didn't understand the question.        - Peter Blake