Re: Amarock - wma format questions

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 23:25 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Just for grins, I located several wma files and mplayer plays them
> just fine.

There's some WMA files that mplayer will handle, and others that it will
not.

e.g. From http://www.theatreorgans.com/walnuthill/eugenehayek.htm
download http://www.theatreorgans.com/walnuthill/Hayek_Five_Foot_Two.wma

And it wouldn't play, for me.  Yet, lots of other WMA files from that
page worked fine.

It wanted to make use of wma9dmod.dll (which it can't find).  I do have
it in /usr/local/lib/codecs/wma9dmod.dll (which is supposed to be one of
the places that it will look).

If you find it won't play a file, try playing from the command line to
see what errors are produced, then seeing if you can give it a helping
hand.  Perhaps by symlinking from the codec directory to one or two
other places players look by default.  Here's three locations that I
know about:

/usr/lib/codecs/
/usr/local/lib/codecs/
/usr/local/lib/win32/

Seeing as I've got mine in /usr/local/lib/codecs/, something like the
following might do the trick for mplayer (it does for me), and for other
programs that look for codecs in one or more of those places:

# remove *my* empty directory, then replace with link to one with codecs
rmdir /usr/lib/codecs
ln -s  /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/lib/codecs

# remove *my* empty directory, then replace with link to one with codecs
rmdir /usr/local/lib/win32
ln -s  /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/local/lib/win32

As I recall, I installed my extra codecs from the mplayer codec tarball
from the mplayer website, according to their instructions.  Mine weren't
installed from an RPM.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386