permissions on flopy in your latest kernel?

Greetings;

I have now been a day or more trying to write a floppy disk image to a floppy
disk with dd, but the last attempt, hopelessly scrambled the data on the
disk.

I'm using fdutils-5.5 and dd to do this.  So I just rebooted from 2.6.25.2
locally built to your kernel just to see if it made any difference.  Checking
dmesg, it looks just like any other recent boot.

But once booted to 2.6.24.7-92, I now get the first error ever out of
setfdprm:

root@coyote coco3_6309]# setfdprm /dev/fd0 COCO7203.5
/dev/fd0: Permission denied
[root@coyote coco3_6309]#

This looks normal I think:
[root@coyote coco3_6309]# ls -l /dev/fd0*
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,   0 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,  84 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u1040
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,  88 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u1120
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,  28 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u1440
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2, 124 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u1600
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,  44 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u1680
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,  60 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u1722
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,  76 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u1743
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,  96 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u1760
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2, 116 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u1840
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2, 100 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u1920
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,  12 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u360
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,  16 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u720
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2, 120 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u800
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,  52 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u820
brw-r----- 1 root floppy 2,  68 2008-05-22 13:15 /dev/fd0u830
[root@coyote coco3_6309]#

So what the heck is going on?

I'm going to reboot to 2.6.26-rc1, which isn't overly stable, 4-5 days uptime
is all I can coax out of it, and try it again.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)