Re: Build Nvidia driver for Fedora 9, AMD?

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 4:08 AM, Mike Evans <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Whoah!
> Thanks both for this warning.  This has put my plans to upgrade to F9 on
> immediate and indefinite hold.

Mine as well unfortunately.

> Just a thought - but I suppose a retro-grade to the supported version of
> Xorg is going to break too much?

In one of the forum links I posted earlier in the thread there is a
walkthrough on how to install xorg from Fedora 8 and people have had
some success.

> I know Fedora likes to be on the cutting edge - but releasing development
> snapshot as the default for something as fundamental as X?  Hmm.

This has been a hot topic as of late. Fedora's stance from what I've
read is that they were all set to release Xorg 1.5 but it missed its
release date. However to go back to an earlier version would have been
a lot of work and they deemed the pre-release version to be far enough
along to include it in the distro.

Nvidia's position is that they don't support pre-release versions of Xorg.

My position is that in shipping with a pre-release version of Xorg
that is not supported by the video card manafacturers I cannot use
Fedora 9 as it does not meet my requirements of a desktop.

I do not believe Fedora or Nvidia put the users who depend on the
proprietary video card drivers in this position knowingly but here we
are just the same.

- Erich