Re: cannot set background to new image (Gnome on F9)

On 2008-05-17 22:36, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On F8 I used the package wp_tray (wallpaper tray) to change my background at
fixed intervals, but on F9 that doesn't work anymore. What's more, I also
can't change the background image using the System -> Preferences -> Look
and Feel -> Appearance dialog, and also not using the command line

gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
/path/to/image.jpg

all of which used to work.

When I log in again (i.e. restart of X server and of the Gnome environment)
the last image that was set as background appears as the new background.

Has anybody else seen this?

Even though I usually use the proprietary nVidia driver (172.08 Beta), it
also doesn't work with the open source nv driver, so it's not that.

Try turning off the xfs service. 'service xfs stop' on the command
line and do a ctrl-alt-backspace to restart X only (not reboot). If
that helps you, make sure you turn it off permanently on all runlevels
using the system-config-services tool. That cleared up many issues
like this for me due to a X-xfs bug causing many things not to start,
including nautilus.

If that doesn't help, I don't know what's up on your system.

/Mike

Thanks for the suggestion, but the xfs service was already off:
# service xfs status
xfs is stopped
# chkconfig --list xfs
xfs            	0:off	1:off	2:off	3:off	4:off	5:off	6:off

So that isn't it.

--
Sjoerd Mullender