Re: KDE 4...

On Thursday 15 May 2008 11:19, Michal Janda wrote:
> 2008/5/15 Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > IMHO, KDE4-release was underwhelming and shouldn't have been released
> > > until it reached feature a parity with KDE 3.5.x.
> > > IMO, bugs and crashes can be forgiven - but not having an option to set
> > > the order of applets on a panel (only added in 4.0.3?) or change the
> > > appearance of the panel was inexcusable.
> >
> > Why?  What exactly do you want to do that you can't?  It's true that
> > improvements are coming all the time, but the panel arrangement, for
> > example,
> > arrived in time for F9 release.
>
> - i cannot put second panel

I don't know about that.  I'll see if I can find out.

> - i cannot add icon on desktop to launch application or enter directory
> - i cannot add any icon to panel to start applications

You can do both of these, but you do it by right-clicking on the item in the
menu.  It will then ask whether you want a link on the desktop or on the
panel.

> - there are less applets than in KDE 3.x, for example I was not able to
> find out how to add "show desktop" applet

That may not yet be possible - I don't know.

> For me it seems like a big mistake to publisj F 9 with KDE 4 which have
> less possibilities than older version, as I use KDE as primary environment
> is F9 not usable for me at this time. I have feeling that Fedora do not
> care about KDE users and that many users will stay on older F8.

Fedora is, and always was, a showplace for cutting edge software.  The
desktop ;in kde is perfectly usable, providing you keep updated and are
prepared to spend a little time learning it.  Much of the functionality now
exists, though not all, but it is *different*.  Saying that you will stay
with F8 only puts off the day when you need to learn, and it's much easier to
do it when everyone else is in the same boat.

Anne