Re: Wifi problem (iwl3945) on F8

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 11:58 +0200, Luc MAIGNAN wrote:

> I've a wifi entwork card on my Dell Vostro laptap : Intel Pro Wireless
> 3945ABG. On Fedora, the card is well recognized but I can't succeed to
> configure it. In fact, the driver denied to configure the master mode, it
> allows only managed mode. Unfortunaly, all the access points I have are in
> master mode.

But (usually) you'd want to be in managed mode (when you're a client).
You'd use a master mode if you were acting as an access point.

Master mode
Master mode (also called AP or infrastructure mode) is used to create a
service that looks like a traditional access point. The wireless card
creates a network with a specified name (called the SSID) and channel,
and offers network services on it.

Wireless cards in master mode can only communicate with cards that are
associated with it in managed mode.

Managed mode
Managed mode is sometimes also referred to as client mode. Wireless
cards in managed mode will join a network created by a master, and will
automatically change their channel to match it.

Clients using a given AP are said to be associated with it. Managed mode
cards do not communicate with each other directly, and will only
communicate with an associated master.

Ad-hoc mode
Ad-hoc mode creates a multipoint-to-multipoint network when there is no
master or AP available.

In ad-hoc mode, each wireless card communicates directly with its
neighbors. Nodes must be in range of each other to communicate, and must
agree on a network name and channel.

The above nicked from a neat little presentation I found at:
http://wireless.ictp.it/school_2006/lectures/Rob/NetArchitecture/index.html

I read messages from the public lists.