Re: Looking Ahead - Upgrade

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 19:53 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Well, I gues I've been lucky then, upgrading from one release to another,
> for 13+ years, with multiple machines containing wide varities of hardware.

You've been just plain lucky. Upgrading FC5 to FC6 blew up something in
UDEV which was never resolved. I had to wait minutes for it to get past
the error before it would proceed to finish booting. Several others
reported the same problem. A full install resolved that. I've never
attempted it again, and never had anymore problems now that I have all
the interesting bits backed up. I keep projects in the /opt directory as
much as possible for a swift backup and restore. Myself, I wouldn't
advise upgrading without plenty of caveats to the OP. Especially if they
don't have the expertise to repair what may become broken. They may take
your advice literally and get lazy on the backup routine. Plus, a full
install takes less time to accomplish and will be much cleaner.

My personal two cents, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar