Re: Looking Ahead - Upgrade

Rick Stevens writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Rick Stevens writes:

The fact you've had good luck in upgrades is (to be honest) a bit
anecdotal.  There have been many, MANY people with completely stock
systems that have crashed and burned BIG time.  Even Red Hat doesn't
recommend an upgrade more than 2 revs up (e.g. F7-->F9).

Well, I gues I've been lucky then, upgrading from one release to another, for 13+ years, with multiple machines containing wide varities of hardware.

Yes, you have.  And this wasn't meant to start a flame war.  All I'm
saying is that yes, it sometimes works (perhaps more often than not),
but sometimes it ends up as a smoking hole in the ground.  Be careful.

Well, I've been hearing all these warnings how rpm is the tool of devil, and how manually compiling stuff is the wave of the future, for many years. The funny thing is that most of them, who keep complaining about upgrades breaking their systems, are the ones who've loaded it with tons of manually-installed stuff.

Of course, the dependencies of manually-installed software do not get tracked by rpm, and rpm knows nothing about it. And they act surprised each time they upgrade and rpm ends up nuking their files.