Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 51, Issue 48

Gene Poole wrote:
On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Mauriat M <mirandam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How near term? Just out of curiosity, since this is a server, do you
plan to upgrade out of some deficiency in Fedora 8? F8 will still be
supported for some time.

You posted in the past asking about a howto for Oracle on F8.  Did you
ever find that? Or did you figure it out yourself? I hope you kept
good notes.

Samba and Apache/Tomcat are natively supported by Fedora so I imagine
that there will be a well defined upgrade path for those components.
As for Oracle, it would be wise to do some testing on a separate F9
install. Even if Oracle runs without incidence on F9, running an
upgrade by the F9 installer may still not be perfect. There are many
reasons why an upgrade may not work as well as a fresh install (e.g.
manual tweaks, source installs, 3rd party packages).

I'm assuming this server is critical in which case I would recommend
testing on a separate system (or virtualized if you don't have
hardware).  The more testing, the less potential hiccups.

Although I could be wrong, I doubt you'll get much experience from
users here matching your exact same configuration/scenario.

-Mauriat

I won't upgrade for at least a month after the GA.  I did find the Oracle
Howto on several locations, but they weren't available until about 2-weeks
after Fedora 8 GA. Although I called this a server machine, and it is, I
like to do some things on it that require resources that aren't available
on my other machines (sometimes it's bad that Linux runs so well on older
hardware), so I like the new KDE4. My issue with the Apache and Tomcat that
Fedora provides is that I like to install my software where I want my
software installed - in it's very own file systems. This helps me when I
must do a full install, all I have to remember is what I've put in
/etc/rc.d/init.d, /etc, /etc/profile.d, /usr/bin, and my yum repositories.
I would use the provided RPMs if I could control where the install is
placed.

That's what the "--installroot" option to yum and rpm is for.  It
doesn't work with all packages, but must take it OK.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2@xxxxxxxx -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -