Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 51, Issue 48

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Mauriat M <mirandam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How near term? Just out of curiosity, since this is a server, do you
> plan to upgrade out of some deficiency in Fedora 8? F8 will still be
> supported for some time.
>
> You posted in the past asking about a howto for Oracle on F8.  Did you
> ever find that? Or did you figure it out yourself? I hope you kept
> good notes.
>
> Samba and Apache/Tomcat are natively supported by Fedora so I imagine
> that there will be a well defined upgrade path for those components.
> As for Oracle, it would be wise to do some testing on a separate F9
> install. Even if Oracle runs without incidence on F9, running an
> upgrade by the F9 installer may still not be perfect. There are many
> reasons why an upgrade may not work as well as a fresh install (e.g.
> manual tweaks, source installs, 3rd party packages).
>
> I'm assuming this server is critical in which case I would recommend
> testing on a separate system (or virtualized if you don't have
> hardware).  The more testing, the less potential hiccups.
>
> Although I could be wrong, I doubt you'll get much experience from
> users here matching your exact same configuration/scenario.
>
> -Mauriat

I won't upgrade for at least a month after the GA.  I did find the Oracle
Howto on several locations, but they weren't available until about 2-weeks
after Fedora 8 GA. Although I called this a server machine, and it is, I
like to do some things on it that require resources that aren't available
on my other machines (sometimes it's bad that Linux runs so well on older
hardware), so I like the new KDE4. My issue with the Apache and Tomcat that
Fedora provides is that I like to install my software where I want my
software installed - in it's very own file systems. This helps me when I
must do a full install, all I have to remember is what I've put in
/etc/rc.d/init.d, /etc, /etc/profile.d, /usr/bin, and my yum repositories.
I would use the provided RPMs if I could control where the install is
placed.

Thanks,
Gene