Re: Samba users - upgrade

Craig White wrote:
On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 15:21 -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
(tangential question caused by answer)
Craig,
I (used to) understand that samba _has_ to have a _Unix_account_ on the machine to map the samba user too, but does samba now require an explicit samba account as well as a system user? i.e., if I have a Unix account 'sucker' and if that is my MS user name too, then samba should just map through to the Unix account and password right?
----
The only way I could conceive of pulling that off is with winbindd where
the samba account is maintained on some Windows server elsewhere, but no
matter what, samba will need/create a local 'passdb' of some sort.

Craig

You may want to look at the "security = [ads|domain|server]" option - if I am reading it correctly, this puts the entire user/password validation on another machine. So you would not need a user/password database on the local machine. I would think you would still need a samba user for the logs and such...

I found a fairly complete description of differences in the smb.conf man page under the security option.

Mikkel