Re: help with file recovery?

Microsoft word can save files in several formats, dot as a template, doc
as a document, rtf ???, PDF, to name a few.
If it opens with less, you might try redirecting less to a file.  You
might try filtering it with dos2unix first then open with OOWriter.  Be
careful to save your original.  I generally create a directory, copy the
file into it, then cd to that directory to work on the file (saves
unintended consequences of a bad click or key stumble).

There are various filters available on the net.  If you open it with a
hex editor, there may be information in the file header that tells how
it was saved or gives some clue to how to open it.

Regards,
Les H