Re: upgrade from fedora core 6 to 9

> Despite what Alan Cox recommended I think the consensus is that the
> chances of safely upgrading a fedora version are slim.

Do you - I would strongly disagree.

> install disk and it works. In fedora for example we have other repos we
> load from. I replaced totem with totem-xine from livna. It is hard to
> believe an upgrade would handle this easily.

"I find it hard to believe" - you mean "I haven't tried" 8). You may need
to do a yum update afterwards to pick up any needed updates but Fedora
(and Red Hat Linux before it) has for years and years always had to deal
with this problem as people install additional software packages from
mixed sources (Flash plugins, Sun java, etc) and have been doing so long
before we had yum and multiple repositories.

Now there are few things which will give it some degree of indigestion -
a package replacing a file that is needed for a dependancy with a
directory owned by some package not in the base install is a good one for
the older boxes at least, but that doesn't happen in the wild, just when
testing evil corner cases.

> Now Alan Cox I will admit is more knowledgeable about Fedora than I am.
> So if anyone can pull this upgrade off he can. But notice even he
> slipped in the advice not to upgrade directly from FC6 to f9 but go one
> version at a time.

That is extreme paranoia but it is good practice to backup data and be
cautious when updating a machine containing stuff you consider valuable
and important. 5 to 8 worked fine for me when I stuffed the CD into
boxes I didn't care quite so much about.

Alan