Re: Startup/Login screen resolution & F8 thinks webcam is an audio device...

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Wed, 07 May 2008 17:58:25 -0400
"Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Fedora fails to recognize my motherboard's built-in
audio chipset  (ADI AD1986A) which it normally has no problems with

Yep, this burned me as well. If you search the list there
was a thread a while back about how the stoopid system-config-soundcard
app builds some files expecting the original soundcard to be index 0
in some internal table and the stoopid boot sequence initializes
removable devices before fixed devices, so if the webcam is plugged
in at boot, it winds up index 0.

Some magic added in /etc/modprobe.conf fixes this. Something like:

alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1

I saw a recent thread that implies this is finally fixed in fedora 9
because system-config-soundcard was simply removed (all it ever did
was screw this stuff up, by not hard coding anything, sound just
works correctly :-).

:-) Thanks for the info, now that you mention it I think I do remember browsing through a bit of that thread... Though I didn't pay much attention since I wasn't having any problems. Then I just *HAD* to go and buy a web cam... what was I thinking... ;-)