Re: Generating a new grub.conf ??

William Case wrote:
> I am going to drop this grub issue because no one seems to understand my
> point.

below 'new fedora people' brings your intent to a better understanding.

> I was simply trying out a suggestion on how to make it easier for others
> -- particularly new users.

if you want to help 'new users', you have to sometimes hold their hand and
step them thru, especially grub.

as you now know, grub can be confusing to a new user and it takes a little time
to understand just what is needed to set up grub. grub is a bit more trial and
error than what lilo is.

having started early with lilo, i was reluctant to leave it. to me, lilo has
one failing and that is passing (hd0,0) instead of /dev/hda1. even kde's grub
config in 'linux control center' does not know how to do this from a lilo.conf
file.

beauty of lilo is that best way to back it up is 'dd' of sector 0 to a floppy
and every thing is there.

with grub, lose sector 0 and /boot you are totally lost if you do not have
/boot/grub backed up somewhere.

having started out using al, i do believe that i will check out lilo team
and see just what and why they are bitching about not having room to build
a better lilo. other than they may be a bunch of 'c heads' and really do not
know anything about hardware and controllers.

> Over two years ago I had grub problems.  At that time I had to dig in

any one getting into linux will at one time or other have to drop their
'user garb' and learn some administration. or they need to know one with
a lot of patients and understanding of 'users'.

> I was simply asking if there was not a away to make it easier for new
> Fedora people

this you really did not make fully clear and i do believe is what caused
you to get replies as you did. i my self included.

to be sure of what you are wanting do have a look at 'readme' file, because
with this script and a simple sample, it may still be something that a
'newbie' can use along with a 'dd' floppy to get back in business.

if not a floppy, cd's are cheap and a 'dd' file can be renamed to a .iso
and burned.

as for a usb memory, that is just begging for disaster.

> go through the same internship I had to go through two years ago.

all a part of learning how to maintain your system.

- --

tc,hago.

.

without fences, who needs gates.