Re: Generating a new grub.conf ??

On Wednesday 07 May 2008 2:58:49 pm William Case wrote:

>>> snip

> As I think about it, the Fedora 8 rescue disk starts with 4 options;
>
> "
> Install or Upgrade existing system
> Install or Upgrade existing system (text mode)
> Boot from local drive
> Memory test "
>
> I am thinking of asking as a Request for Enhancement that a fifth rescue
> line be added:
>
> "Re-install Grub"
>
> The reinstall grub option would just run Anaconda as far as grub
> installation and then quit before implementing reformatting or changing
> any other partition configurations.  No new kernels or other programs
> would be installed.
>
> It seems quick and easy with little or no learning curve.  If more
> changes were wanted one of the other options could be used instead.
>

> --
> Regards Bill

Bill:
Now that you mention it, back in the early days of Fedora Core, I successfuly
repaired a busted grub by booting to the install disk, selecting install,
telling it to use the existing Fedora partitions but not to format them, then
deselecting _all_ of the software. Later I learned about the recommended
procedure given below by Aaron Konstam, which is quicker and, I expect,
somewhat safer.

-- cmg