Re: Startup/Login screen resolution & F8 thinks webcam is an audio device...

Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
Hi folks,
As the subject implies, I have two separate problems that I'd like a bit of assistance with. I'm running Fedora 8 x86_64.

First, I recently bought an HP w2207h wide screen LCD display, and it works pretty well with one exception: It doesn't particularly like non-widescreen resolutions, and will toss up an annoying on screen display stating that the resolution and/or refresh rate are out of range right in the center of the display, blocking anything there, until either a) the reolution/refresh rate is changed or b) it decides that you're not paying it any attention and puts itself to sleep. Its preferred resolution is 1680x1050 at 60 Hz, and I have no problem with the resolution once I'm logged in, but I'm not sure how to change the resolution for the start/boot-up process (in case I need to watch the details while booting up), or at the log-in screen. As you might guess, I'm not exactly an expert at poking around in xorg.conf; can anyone offer me some suggestions?

The second problem is that I also just got a RocketFish webcam. It doesn't work by default under Fedora, and I'm not entirely concerned about that, but what is interesting is that as long as it's plugged into my system, Fedora fails to recognize my motherboard's built-in audio chipset (ADI AD1986A) which it normally has no problems with, and decides that what little audio support that is in the webcam (a built-in microphone) should be the default audio output device. This is obviously wrong. The simplest answer, I suppose would be to unplug the webcam when booting into Linux, but I'm sure there has to be a correct answer. Like I said, I'm not worried about getting the webcam to work properly under Fedora, I just want my sound working. The audio chipset doesn't even show in the sound device preference panel with the camera plugged in. Any suggestions on this one?
Surely someone must have a suggestion or two about one of these issues or the other...?

Thanks again,
Raymond