Re: Problems with iwl4965 wireless

Thank you for suggestions.

Tim wrote:

If you never need it, then leave the service turned off.

chkconfig avavahi-dameon off
        Yes I had done that after stopping it.
  2) kill off something called nm-applet - i cannot find where this is
started (as the logged in kde user not root). It is not visible
anywhere on the KDE task bar so not sure how to shut off - but a killall seems to work for now.

It shows you an interface to the NetworkManager.  If you don't use
network manager, you can turn that service off and the nm-applet will
not bother you.

chkconfig NetworkManager off
Well - neither NetworkManager nor NetworkManagerDispatecher service were ever running. I have found them to be not useful (yet) for my environment (changes between wireless and wired with static).

nm-applet was started by kde - and runs as the logged in user - it did not show in system tray or anywhere else far as I can tell but magically starts each time I login.