Re: Generating a new grub.conf ??

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 13:06 -0500, Bradley Pursley wrote:
> The utility located at System - Administration - Bootloader either
> doesn't work or isn't for GRUB.  Even if it was for GRUB, it doesn't
> look like it really does much of anything.

All that appears to do is let you set the default entry.  Useful, but
not comprehensive enough for dual-boot systems.

> I have to manually "fix" mine every time there's an update to the
> kernel or GRUB

I don't, mine's always handled automatically, quite fine.

Do you dual-boot, perhaps?  If so, it mightn't be adjusting the right
grub.conf file (the one it finds in /boot rather than the one that the
system uses as /boot before booting).

> and I had to play around with it for a week to get it right the first
> time after I installed Linux.

I haven't had to do that, ever.  Do you use plug in USB drives?
Sometimes the order of drives is different depending on how you boot.

You haven't said what sort of changes you had to make, either.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.