Re: firefox high cpu

On 06May2008 20:56, Jorge F?bregas <jorge.fabregas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Friday 02 May 2008 12:47:55 am Srikanth Konjarla wrote:
| > For some time i am experiencing the high cpu rate on Firefox (2.0.0.14,
| > Fedora 8) with some sites (sites with flash are always high on cpu and
| > crash sometimes).
|
| I have exactly the same problem. If I go to YouTube and watch a video I'll see
| Firefox taking about 35% of my cpu...and my load-average goes up to 1.0 (and
| that on my system is too much).  I"m currently running Firefox 2.0.0.14 with
| the latest flash. The other day I tried Firefox 3 (newest beta) but after a
| while it started behaving the same way.  Initially I thought it was better
| but then I realized it was about the same (with this flash-cpu issue).

That's because Flash is a complete pig. Since th same plug applies to
both browsers, of course they both eat your CPU.

| The add-on I'm running is Adblock-Plus. I know there's another one to block
| flash content but I don't want to do that (what modern site doesn't have
| flash?)...

I use NoScript (firefox plugin) and adzapper (squid proxy plugin).
I have adblock (firefox plugin) installed, but find it rarely used
in my setup.

With noscript you can easily whitelist the (few) sites for which flash
is useful and it makes the browser much better behaved. And flash is
a complete PITA - if a site won't work without it I will often just
backpedal away from the site and try never to return.

A lot of ads are flash - gah!

| If you go to the Adobe Penguin.SWF Blog and check the comments for the latest
| release of the plugin for Linux:
| http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2007/12/flash_player_9_update_3_final.html#comments
| ...you'll see there are many people upset with this performance issue.

It would be nice if flash didn't run on pages not exposed (eg the
"other" tabs, and iconified windows).

| So...I just would like to know if we have to live with this (while there's a
| newer version of the flash plugin) or is there really a workaround for this?

You're screwed. Eschew flash where possible. You'll be happier.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

...don't permit your spirit to be dampened by pinheaded bottom liners who
feel the proper work environment is one that resembles a benign prison camp.
        - a Good Times horoscope