Re: firefox high cpu

On Friday 02 May 2008 12:47:55 am Srikanth Konjarla wrote:
> For some time i am experiencing the high cpu rate on Firefox (2.0.0.14,
> Fedora 8) with some sites (sites with flash are always high on cpu and
> crash sometimes).

I have exactly the same problem. If I go to YouTube and watch a video I'll see
Firefox taking about 35% of my cpu...and my load-average goes up to 1.0 (and
that on my system is too much).  I"m currently running Firefox 2.0.0.14 with
the latest flash. The other day I tried Firefox 3 (newest beta) but after a
while it started behaving the same way.  Initially I thought it was better
but then I realized it was about the same (with this flash-cpu issue).

I even deleted my complete profile (~/.mozilla) and created a new one from
scratch  (I had to install all my add-ons, themes, bookmarks...) but the
problem still exists...so now I know it's  not related to my profile.

The add-on I'm running is Adblock-Plus. I know there's another one to block
flash content but I don't want to do that (what modern site doesn't have
flash?)...

If you go to the Adobe Penguin.SWF Blog and check the comments for the latest
release of the plugin for Linux:

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2007/12/flash_player_9_update_3_final.html#comments

...you'll see there are many people upset with this performance issue.

So...I just would like to know if we have to live with this (while there's a
newer version of the flash plugin) or is there really a workaround for this?

--
Jorge
.