Re: Problems with iwl4965 wireless

On 2008-05-06 20:58, Mike wrote:
John W. Linville <linville <at> redhat.com> writes:

You may wish to try the latest available F8 kernel in Fedora.  It has
some recent fixes that have improved the situation for a number of
iwl3945 and iwl4965 users (but not all of them):

Hi John

That will certainly be worth a shot for the OP but do you know if there is an
associated kmod-nvidia rpm to match it yet (in livna devel?)

I have a different problem with the iwl4965 wireless driver: on the 2.6.24.5-85.fc8.x86_64 kernel it doesn't seem to send out any packets when trying to get an IP address, so initializing the WiFi interface fails. The latest available F8 kernel from the above link (2.6.24.6-90.fc8.x86_64) doesn't change that. It worked fine in the previous kernel (2.6.24.4-64.fc8.x86_64) so that's the one I'm using.

I tested this on another system using tcpdump on the wireless interface. With the -85 kernel there were no packets visible, but with the -64 kernel there were.

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN.

To answer the question in the message I'm actually replying to, I have no idea, but with the freshrpms.net version of the driver you wouldn't have that problem since it uses DKMS to compile the driver at boot time when it hadn't already.

--
Sjoerd Mullender