Re: sysadmin probs; help needed

Tom Poe wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Are you using Network Manager to manage the Network connection? If so, how long have you waited when the system locks up? Is it possible that it is trying to bring up a network connection, and failing? You could have to wait for the network connection to time out...

Is it possible that you have roots desktop set to start some programs on startup, and one of them is hanging?

When you were trying to install the program, were you logged in as root, or running as root? (Were you asked for root's password?)

Mikkel
Mikkel: I can ctl-alt-f1 and login as root. I haven't used network manager (don't know where it is). When it locks up while trying to enter GUI for root from the sessions login screen, I waited about 30 to 45 seconds. When I clicked on the .exe file, I was logged in as user, and no request for root password came up. I now can authenticate to edit network card dialog with user/password, whereas before, it always required authenticating with root/password. What seems to be affected, is the GUI authentication aspects such as login to root from the session login screen, and as I mentioned, authenticating for the administration task of editing nic card settings.
Tom

There are two ways of controlling network connections available in Fedora. The older network service, and the newer NetworkManager. Network Manager is more useful for wireless connections, but it will manage all connections. If you use the System --> Administration --> Network GUI, you are setting up NetworkManager. (I prefer the older network service for servers, but I can see the advantages of NM for laptops...)

Waiting 30 to 45 seconds is not long enough to return a network timeout. I would expect it to take at least 60 seconds, and up to 2 minutes if it is trying to get a DHCP response before giving up. Delays of that length are common when trying to make a connection to an access point with the wrong encryption, or trying to set up a PPPoE connection with the wrong information.

I may be on the wrong track here, but it would be worth checking by doing a root login, and waiting 2 minutes or so before giving up.

Mikkel