Re: moving /home , no joy

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Tim wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 20:53 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > FC8 keeps telling me bad magic number
> > in superblock and puts me in repair mode.
> > Knoppix likes the partition just fine.
> > It's fsck declares it clean.
> > FC8's fsck declares it has a bad magic number.
> > FC8 used to like it, too.
> > I copied /home/* to it under FC8.
> > Knoppix can read the result, as could FC8.
>
> I don't recall you saying how you copied /home over.  A file copy, a
> disc block copy, something else?  "dd"ing a partition between drives
> with different sizes might be a cause of your troubles.

As root:
cp -a /home/* .

> > Something I'd forgotten before repartitioning /dev/sda
> > is that I had a swap partition on it.
>
> You can repartition and create a swap partition, or you could add a swap
> file to an existing partition.
>
> > FC8 now complains that it can't find the resume partition or
> > something.  The partitition that it complains about, the now absent
> > swap partition, hasn't been listed in fstab for several reboots.
>
> If you don't intend to hibernate (suspend to disc) and resume, then you
> can ignore the warning about not being able to find the resume partition
> (which is the swap partition).

When it was there it was *a* swap partition.
There was one on each disk.

> Resuming makes use of the configuration in the /boot/initrd*img file to
> find the partition to resume from.  The fstab file provides the swap
> location for the booted OS.
>
> You'd have to remake the initrd file to get resuming to work, which
> means using the mkinitrd command, or installing a new kernel (which will
> make a new initrd file as part of the installation process).  Or provide
> a resume=/dev/sda1 (adjust to suit your system) parameter in the grub
> file for where the swap partition is located.  I don't think you can
> refer to a swap file, there.

Until I get things fixed, I'd like to make as few changes as are necessary
to distinguish between problems and between problems and nonproblems.

If the resume complaint isn't actually a problem,
can I just omit resume= to make fedora quit looking?

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)