Re: Shoutcast player

On Sunday 04 May 2008 4:18:58 pm Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> Anyone got a reco on a good shoutcast player that can enumerate all the
> stations (xmms cant?) and show bitrates (BMPx does, but its way to
> unstable). I am using Amarok, but it doesn't show the bitrates or what song
> is currently playing on the various playlists so one could make a
> selection, it just shows whats queued once a stream is playing.
>
> Thanks!
> jlc

Joseph:
Take a look at Streamtuner -- it indexes Shoutcase, Google Stations, punkcast,
basic.ch, Live365 and Xiph, as well as whatever music you have stored locally
(although I should point out that I mostly use Xiph). You should understand,
though, that its "currently playing" feature defines "currently" as the last
time that you refreshed the listing, so if you're dying to hear that old
classic "I've got tears in my ears lying on back while crying my heart out
over you", it won't be much help unless you are very, very lucky. It also
provides _some_ information about the quality and content (.ogg, aacp, mpeg,
etc) of the stream. Sadly, the developer announced late last year that the
project is no longer active.

Streamtuner is easily configured to use most audio players -- a simple edit of
the Preferences tab and you're good to go. FWIW, my preference is Audacious.
It plays nicely with other apps, doesn't take up much desktop space, and is
under active development. When I've tried streaming with either Amarok or
Totem, I've notice occasional brief timeouts whereas Audacious has been
pretty solid.

Both are in the Fedora repos.

-- cmg