Re: sysadmin probs; help needed

Tom Poe wrote:
Frank Cox wrote:
On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:48:26 -0500
Tom Poe <tompoe@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, it's not installed, it was aborted when the install froze. Maybe I could disable wine, since I don't need it, do I? I've never used it, that I know of. Never plan to, either. Is it difficult to remove wine?

Unless you gave the mystery software your root password, I don't see how it
could possibly make any changes to your system configuration.

Unless you specify otherwise, everything user-installed through wine should be located in a directory called .wine (notice the dot) in your home directory.

"yum remove wine" will remove wine completely from your system, but you'll
still have to delete the ~/.wine directory.
OK. When I bring up terminal, I can su to root. The only damage I see, is the authentication for network/etho0 card now uses tom/password, instead of root/password, and if I logout of tom, and try to login as root, the system hangs, until I ctl/alt/bkspce and get back to login screen.

I'll hope it's just a cosmetic snafu. Thanks, guys,
Tom

I have only sporadically been following this thread, so I may have missed it. If you change to a cli (Ctrl-Alt-F1) login, can you log in as root?

Are you using Network Manager to manage the Network connection? If so, how long have you waited when the system locks up? Is it possible that it is trying to bring up a network connection, and failing? You could have to wait for the network connection to time out...

Is it possible that you have roots desktop set to start some programs on startup, and one of them is hanging?

When you were trying to install the program, were you logged in as root, or running as root? (Were you asked for root's password?)

Mikkel