Re: openldap + kmail

Timothy Murphy wrote:

When I go to KAddressBook=>Settings=>Configure KAddressBook
and click on LDAP Lookup=>Add Host,
I give my DN as "dc=www,dc=xyz,dc=com".

I found in the end that what was wanted here
was the first part of the DN, in my case "DN: Address Book".
After giving that, I was able to access my LDAP address book
from KMail.

I do feel that the KAddressBook and KMail documentation - in particular the Handbooks - are badly written.
If there had been a single example given in this case
it would have been obvious what the program was looking for.
One example is worth a thousand words.

This is all with Security: No .
To complete my homework, I'm trying to make sense of openldap + TLS.
But in the meantime I can live without that.
Hopefully Gerald Carter when he arrives will throw some light on this.

But thanks to all for their help.
I must write out what I have learned, although I found
"setting up an LDAP-server for use with kaddressbook"
at <http://www.hoernerfranzracing.de/kde/ldap.html> very useful.

For what its worth, I've found a lot of diagnostic information by just tail -f'ing the LDAP access log and watching as a connection is attempted.

Also, depending on the level of security you've applied, the typical connection attempt by any software (this includes command line utilities) requires a bind. A simple bind is accomplished by passing the DN of the entity attempting the bind and its password. Upon successful password validation that client is then free to perform an action like searching, adding, modifying, or deleting entries.

LDAP can be a challenge, but if you want real excitement try LVM :)

- Tod